Hallux valgus; This is the deformity of the first digital metatarsal segment of the foot causing what is commonly known as a bunion.
Hallux varus; This lies in the deviation of the 1st toe inward.
Hallux rigidus; Consists of limited movement and the development of arthrosis of the first toe joint.
Who is this kind of treatment for?
These procedures are recommended for those patients who suffer from different injuries to their feet, either uni- or bilaterally, caused by rheumatoid arthritis, gout or a fracture, ligament laxity or the use of inadequate footwear, amongother causes, and whose mobility is limited.
How is the treatment performed?
These procedures are normally performed under locoregional anaesthesia (although sometimes it can be done under general anaesthesia) and usually require between 30 and 90 minutes and you will be able to go home the same day as the operation.
The intervention consists of;
– Make a millimetric incision.
– Inspect, repair, cut and/or remove the damaged part of the joint and suture.
Depending on the pathology that requires this intervention, the surgeon may use implantable materials (anchors) such as plates, screws or wires.
What is the result of the treatment?
If you are able to stay in Spain during the entire recovery process, depending on the type of “repair” that had to be done, you should stay here between two to four weeks or two to four months to achieve a full recovery.
What recovery time do I need in Spain?
The recovery time to be able to return to your country is approximately 20 days.
Once in your country you will have to follow the guidelines given by the doctor so that you can finish your full recovery within 4 months. You will be able to return to your normal life in approximately six to twelve months.
If you are able to stay in Spain during the whole recovery process, you should stay here for around 4 months to monitor your progress with certain limitations, and between six and twelve months to achieve full recovery.
Physical improvement after the intervention
No pain 6 months later
Cheaper than the UK or Germany
- Recovery of mobility
- Eliminating pain
- Reaction to the anesthesia
- Blood clots
- Check that you have prepared all the personal documentation (credit card, cash, passport, Identity Card…), medical (reports, prescriptions, images…) and travel (confirmation of accommodation booking, travel tickets…)
- If you take medication of any kind not related to the surgery, do not forget to take with you the necessary amount for your stay in Spain, as well as the medical prescription that will allow you to travel with it without problems
- Once you are in Spain, you will have to make an appointment with your specialist. During this visit, the doctor will open your medical record (for which you will be asked to provide all your medical documentation), perform a physical examination and tell you if any further tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis.
- If it is not necessary and everything is confirmed, your doctor will tell you when you must go to the preoperative study and will confirm the time of admission for the day of your surgery.
- If the surgeon has told you to stop taking any medication a few days before the surgery, such as anticoagulants, please do not forget to follow the exact instructions given by the doctor or you will not be able to have the operation!
- The same goes for any fasting that the doctor indicates, if you do not comply – You will not be able to have the surgery either.
- It is recommended that you do not walk or stand for long periods of time during the first 2 weeks.
- For approximately four to six weeks you will have to wear special shoes that you can replace with more “normal” shoes once that time has passed and you can resume your usual routine little by little.
- You will have to follow the instructions given to you by your doctor and the expert physiotherapists to start walking; you should avoid any physical overexertion such as from running, carrying weight, sudden rotations or doing impact sports.
- Remember that your recovery time will vary depending on your age, your physical condition, your lifestyle habits and your attitude!
- Keep in mind that your successful recovery also depends on you!
Receive treatment in one of the best healthcare systems in the world.
Get your free medical consultation
Your treatment planpersonalized in 24-48h.