Within the most innovative and cutting-edge techniques that exist in Spain, our hospitals use the most advanced diagnostic tools. This is one of the most standardised techniques in Europe and the United States to determine the response to hundreds of stimuli.
Consider coming to Spain when there are any of the following conditions: Multiple sclerosis, hearing loss, optic neuritis or head trauma.
What are evoked potential tests? How many types are there?
Evoked potentials are diagnostic tests dedicated to study the electrical activity of the neurons to detect if there is any dysfunction in the nervous system.
There are three types of Evoked Potential Tests:
Auditory – checks the correct response of the nervous system to auditory impulses or stimuli.
Somatosensory – checks the correct response of the nervous system to touch impulses or stimuli.
Visual – checks the correct response of the nervous system to visual impulses or stimuli
How is the test done?
For any of the three types, the technicians connect a series of electrodes to monitor your “reactions” to the stimuli. They usually last between 30 and 40 minutes.
For auditory test, you will need to wear headphones that emit different types of sounds.
For visual test, you will need to look at a surface where the technician project lights of different intensities and flashes.
For somatosensory test, the technician will place electrodes on your feet or hands or near the areas to be studied. The electricity will pass through the electrodes and stimulate the nerves.
What is the result of the treatment?
The tests are done to diagnose in order to treat pathologies associated with the nervous system such as:
- Optic neuritis (inflammation of the optic nerve that causes loss of vision).
- Multiple Sclerosis.
- Hypoacusis (hearing loss).
- Head injuries.
- Spinal cord or brain stem injuries
What recovery time do I need in Spain?e
You only need to stay in Spain long enough to have the test done and obtain the results to start the treatment. No recovery is required
- Quick diagnosis
- Painless Non-surgical test
- Tingling sensation during Somatosensory Evoked Potential Test.
- Check that you have prepared all the personal documentation (credit card, cash, passport, Identity Card…), medical (reports, prescriptions, images…) and travel (confirmation of accommodation booking, travel tickets…)
- If you take medication of any kind not related to the treatment, do not forget to take with you the necessary amount for your stay in Spain, as well as the medical prescription that will allow you to travel with it without problems.
- Once you are in Spain, you will have to make an appointment with your specialist. During this visit, the doctor will open your medical record, perform a physical examination and tell you if any further tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis.
- If it is not necessary and everything is confirmed, your doctor will tell you when you must go to the preoperative study and will confirm the time of admission for the day of your surgery.
- If the specialist has told you to stop taking any medication a few days before the intervention, please do not forget to follow the exact instructions given by the doctor or you will not be able to undergo the test!
- Since this is a diagnostic test, it is important that you follow the treatment guidelines given by the specialist based on the results obtained.
Receive treatment in one of the best healthcare systems in the world.
Get your free medical consultation
Your treatment planpersonalized in 24-48h.