Sleep is one of the main factors affecting the human brain and the human body. A Sleep Medicine specialist can help you in Spain.
You are provided with a structured programme with a protocol that allows you to obtain a correct diagnosis. This is a very comfortable procedure that allows the patient to move freely during sleep.
What is a Lumbar Puncture?
It is a procedure in which a sample of cerebrospinal fluid is extracted for analysis in order to rule out or confirm metabolic, oncological, infectious or inflammatory pathologies linked to the nervous system, the brain or the spinal cord.
How is it carried out?
This procedure is usually performed under local anaesthesia and usually takes about 30 to 45 minutes.
You will be asked to lie on your side on the examination table in the fetal position.
The doctor will mark the specific area where the needle is to be inserted (normally between the vertebrae L3 and L4 or L4 and L5), go through the skin, ligaments etc. and into the spinal canal, allowing the CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) to flow into the reservoir at the end of the needle and the extraction cannula (a pressure gauge may be used to “separate and decompress” the area where the needle is inserted to allow the CSF to exit correctly).
Finally, they will clean the area and place a compression bandage.
What is the outcome?
After having performed the puncture and extracted the liquid, some form of infection may be found or, other pathologies could be discovered, such as meningitis, encephalitis and syphilis or a subarachnoid hemorrhage. Other illnesses or inflammatory diseases of the nervous system like multiple sclerosis and Guillain-Barré syndrome could be diagnosed and even some kinds of cancer such as leukemia or brain cancer. From this, the most appropriate treatment can be determined and carried out.
What recovery time do I need in Spain?
The test is done in less than an hour so your stay in Spain will depend on whether you want to have your treatment here afterwards.
So you could be in Spain for a day or several weeks.
- The advantage of performing these tests is to find, or rule out, the reason for the test and to obtain treatment that will allow you to lead a “normal” life
- Check that you have prepared all the personal documentation (credit card, cash, passport, Identity Card…), medical (reports, prescriptions, images…) and travel (confirmation of accommodation booking, travel tickets…)
- If you take medication of any kind not related to the surgery, do not forget to take with you the necessary amount for your stay in Spain, as well as the medical prescription that will allow you to travel with it without problems.
- Once you are in Spain, you will have to make an appointment with your specialist. During this visit, the doctor will open your medical record (for which you will be asked to provide all your medical documentation), perform a physical examination and tell you if any further tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis.
- If the specialist has told you to stop taking any medication a few days before the study, please do not forget to follow the exact instructions given by the doctor or you will not be able to have the procedure!
- Since this is a diagnostic test, it is important that you follow the guidelines or treatment prescribed by the specialist based on the results obtained.
Receive treatment in one of the best healthcare systems in the world.
Get your free medical consultation
Your treatment planpersonalized in 24-48h.